I have found little bits and pieces of time where I have gotten in a little sewing! I’ve been wanting to make some fabric buckets from the coffee bean bags that I purchased some time ago on E-bay. As with anything new, there tends to be some experiementing with new fabrics and how they react when using them in different ways.
I managed to get a small bucket made, which I lined with some unbleached muslin:
I folded over the lining to cover the top edge and sewed it with a decorative stitch. Using the muslin worked fine, but I think that I need to do something else on the upper edge. I like the top folded over, but looking at it closer, I need to attach it further down.
And the large bucket is lined with an unbleached canvas, to give it more strength:
I love how the large basket turned out, but the top seam was hard to sew, and pretty bulky. I use a double layer of cotton batting for stability in this size of basket, and I have to overlock stitch the inside seams of the burlap so that they don’t unravel with use. This makes the seams a lot harder to sew over.
When I cut these buckets out, I fussy cut, and try to place the front, bottom and back over the most wording I can. I love how this works out, although the back has upside down words, ooops! It can’t be helped when using a one piece pattern.
Anyhow, I think that I’ve learned quite a lot about sewing with the burlap, and I know that I will have several made before you know it, and in the shop! Meantime, I’m sure that I will find a use for this basket as well!
Thanks for stopping by!
Take care, Cheryl